This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Interview with Father Time

           I didn't line up any interviews for the holiday time,  so thought I'd pay a last visit to a guy who will  soon be leaving.  I'll keep it short because I know he's got a lot of loose ends to tie up before he goes.  We each have our own Father Time and I'd like you to meet my Father Time:

Arlee:   How do you think our 2009 went?

Father Time:  It started kind of slow.  You were kind of sick as I recall and your job was ending  so things seemed kind of bleak in January and February.  But we just plodded along packing up an entire warehouse, just you and me.  And really you did all the real labor.

Well, you were good and made my time last just right to finish.  It was a somewhat bittersweet parting, leaving my job and all.

And you dove right into the unemployment with a lot of enthusiasm. I was impressed how you went to the trade show in Las Vegas for your company and worked your tail off just like you were going to keep working for that company.

I believe in friendly departures because you never know what can happen in the future.  And it's kind of funny, I always kind of disliked those trade shows, but this year I really savored it. So can you remember much after that?

I had it easy.  This year was leisurely --almost like a vacation much of the time.  Let's see you had a wedding for one daughter in June, a road trip to Vegas in July, and another road trip to Houston in early August.  That was the life I'd say.

There was a lot to enjoy, but keep in mind that I've been working pretty steadily for the past 18 years and wasn't able to have those advantages that often.  And Father Time, you don't stop for anyone.

But sometimes this year I felt like I was napping.  I'm just happy you discovered the blog world and got fired up about your writing once again.  When that happened you got me really stirred up as you started filling your days with more of a focused schedule and started developing clear goals.

Yeah, I don't know if it would have worked as well if I had started my blog before September.  As it was, I was going thru Halloween busy season withdrawal and the blogging gave me that Halloween topic to start on.  I don't think many people saw those old Halloween posts, but it really started shaping my style and it brought you and me closer.

Yes after you got on the blog schedule we were certainly a tight team.  That's how we managed to get through November with blogging and doing the NaNo novel at the same time.  And we even managed to keep the comments coming on the blogs of your new friends in blogland.  Yes sir, we became a pretty tight team.  And now here we are at the end.  It's been a good ride.

I agree.  I hope that 2010 will be as good to me as you were.

Just remember--stay focused on your goals and let 2010 know who's the boss.  You control time and don't let it control you.  Time is your friend, and like any good friend we grow older and wiser together.
                                             ########

6 comments:

  1. I've never read an interview with Father Time before, good sir. Congrats on being the first!

    Happy New Year to you!

    P.S. I can totally relate to rediscovering writing, since I did that in 2009 also. Good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2010 is sure to be a fabulous year for you!! All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very funny! I agree with FT, I am glad you "got fired up about writing once again". Keep it going.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever and interesting interview. I really like the advice at the end.

    Wishing you a wonderful 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  5. `
    Ha!
    This was a clever idea, rLEE-b.
    I may borrow a page from the OTHER
    book, and interview Mother Nature.

    ~ Stephen
    <"As a dog returns to his own vomit,
    so a fool repeats his folly."
    ~ Proverbs 26:11>

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful interview with Father Time...It was an interesting year for me too...sometimes losing your job is the best thing that can happen to a person. Keep these great writings coming our way.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee