This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Friday, October 22, 2010

Cinderella's Shoe Blogfest

And now for another Special Saturday Post:



Here's a blogfest hosted by Madeleine at Scribble and Edit.   Okay, I saw this way ahead of time and I'm thinking maybe.  Well, maybe nothing--here it is:

YOUR CHALLENGE is to write max 500 word piece or a poem about any character who loses an item that when found by another results in their mutual happiness/relief/salvation

.....and here is my entry:

              Sarah was having one of those lousy days.  Time had decided to torment her and her patience was waning. One more stop for the day.  The streets were busy and she feared that she would have a problem finding a place to park.  Her spirits lifted as she saw a car pulling away from the curb across the street from her destination.  Feeling a sense of relief, she pulled into the space.

               The meter was out of time.  For a moment she thought about just running her errand and skipping the parking fee, but a quick guilty glance showed her that the parking enforcement officer was a block away and coming in her direction.  She fished in her purse for her last quarter.  In her anxiety to place the coin in the slot her nervous fingers fumbled and she dropped the quarter.  Sarah looked about her feet and then in a wider circle, but did not see the coin anywhere. As good fortune would have it, she had parked directly in front of a small market.  She hurried inside to get change for a dollar.

                Molly meandered lost in her thoughts.  She spied a shiny quarter on the sidewalk and bent over to pick it up.  This pittance of coinage was no big deal but it seemed like a fortuitous find.  She was about to pocket the quarter when she noted the parking enforcement officer heading toward her.  She then happened to notice the expired meter next to her.

                Someone is going to get a parking ticket, she thought.  But then she smiled to herself and deposited her found quarter into the expired meter.  With a chuckle she picked up her step and headed home with a happy determination.

                Sarah had not counted on the line at the cashier and the time it would take to get change for a dollar.  As she neared the door she could see the parking enforcement officer walking away from her car.  Her heart sunk.  But as she exited the store she realized with widening eyes that there was no ticket and there was now time on the meter.  She didn't know what to make of it, but it was a good thing. 

               She crossed to the place of her destination feeling as though the day was going to start turning for the better.  Sara noticed an unkempt man with a sign scrawled on a piece of cardboard.  The man leaned against the building gazing dully as though he were trying to focus on his lost dreams.  Sara smiled and looked at the coins she clutched in her hand.   Approaching the man, she paused, put the coins in her purse, and took out a ten dollar bill and handed it to the man.

              "You have a great day, sir."

               "God bless you."  The old man didn't have much to be thankful for these days, but this day was turning out to be not so bad.

                                          #################

If you'd like to add an entry of your own go to Scribble and Edit and sign up.  The Linky will be open until October 30th.

        *************************************

32 comments:

  1. I love it! You get through so much in such a beautifully short story--this captures the idea of the contest gorgeously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lee
    What an uplifting, delightful tale. Things like that do happen sometimes and when they do it really makes you 'in love' with humanity.
    (BTW being a Sara myself, I noted that Sarah became Sara later in your piece).
    Thanks for your lovely comments regarding my entry, too. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I forgot to say I tried to comment once here and then hubby called me for breakfast, when I tried again he reminded me that we had to take my car in for repair at the garage so it's been 3rd time lucky. It's now 9:35 am here in the UK so it must be 01:35am in California. Sweet dreams LOL! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful post Lee, lovely to see you here again on a Saturday.
    Also thanks for the messages of support it meant a lot to me,
    Have a good week-end.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH, what a heartwarming story, Lee, it almost makes me shed a tear or two when people do such kind things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sweet story Arlee, you have a warm heart!
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely done! I'd enter myself, but sheesh - so doggone busy with my Hugs Therapy Virtual Tour 2010 I'm at once exhilerated AND exhausted! But really enjoyed your entry.

    See you soon, next Wednesday for sure, when Hugs comes to Tossing it Out!

    Hugs,
    Marvin D Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lee, I love the "Pay it Forward" message in your piece!~ Great Job~

    ReplyDelete
  9. LEE ~
    I especially liked this sentence:

    The man leaned against the building gazing dully as though he were trying to focus on his lost dreams.

    Well written, Bro!

    ~ D-FensDogg

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amie -- Thanks for the kind words

    Madeleine -- No real intent in the change in spelling, just hurrying and lack of proper editing. Thanks for telling me about this blogfest--a quick writing exercise is always welcome.

    Yvonne -- Not posting everyday has been difficult to get used to.

    Dezmond -- We need more heartwarming stories don't we. How about a heartwarming zombie / vampire story?

    Diana -- And you are kind for saying so.

    Paula- Thank you!

    Marvin -- I'm ready for Wednesday. I'll also be posting something about Devil's Hug on Tuesday and then a review on Thursday.

    Ella -- I do like the concept of "pay it forward".

    StMc -- Encouragement from you is always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way you took to the challenge! This is a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Thanks for sharing your entry and also for letting us know that it was happening in the first place. I wish you the very best of luck with your story. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. More! There's gotta be more! This was great and I want to know what happens to these people!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lee-

    This would not be my typical blog fest, but as I read the challenge, a scene played through my head like I was watching s short film. So I figured what the heck.

    Then I read your piece. Mine bears a similarity to yours, even though I'd thought of it before reading your post.

    I considered not posting mine at all, but since I rarely write prose any more and this one kind of jumped out fully formed, I figured I'd go ahead and post it anyway.

    Both pieces are street scenes involving car parking, lost money and the homeless.

    I think we've both experienced each scene first hand. Both are common events in a larger city. Both make for vivid imagery.

    LC

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lee .. loved that .. such a great feel good story .. which we can use ourselves all the time .. the smile, the laugh, the small coin .. to give people some happiness ..

    Wonderful - loved your entry .. thanks - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a uplifting story, Lee. It's wonderful to read something that isn't full of doom and gloom; we gewt enough of that at the moment! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a nice feel good piece for an early Sunday morning. You could easily write a short story about these people.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  18. Paying it forward always works! Great story :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw, I love that : ) very nice. I'm marveling at how well everyone is able to master the word count... unlike me! lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. My thanks to all of you for reading my entry and leaving your kind comments. Larry, I was especially glad to see you participating in this. You'll have to do more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awwww, this was really sweet! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great entry! I hate scrambling for coins for the meter too. And I love the sweet ending. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you Heather, IBD, and Talei.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aren't we all trying to focus on lost dreams? Your ending was heartwarming. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great story Lee, and a great feel good factor. You can't help but wonder what the world would be like if everyone passed on and multiplied the kindnesses they receive!!

    Well done. :D om

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Lee,

    I really liked you story... We should all be so generous.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great, "feel good" story! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you Roland, Dominic, Gideon, and Liz--I appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee